CSS Frameworks

ChaosKnight

Hi there, can anyone please tell me if it's worth using a CSS framework, and what framework they tried and also what they experienced from it... I heard a lot of good remarks about 960,  Blueprint CSS, jQuery UI, YAML and the Yahoo YUI... I want to have a solid CSS framework that is stable and rigid and that is compliant with all the web browsers... Thanks

They can take a lot of work out of the building, but they can also be both overkill, and add more work when they don't work the way you want and you have to figure out why not.

For a language like CSS, which has no conditionals, and is to be honest a pretty easy language, a framework seems like overkill to me. I personally think you are better off learning how to write nice clean proper CSS on your own, and doing that instead.

Though I don't use CSS frameworks at all, so someone who does use them may be able to come up with a different answer.

The reason why I want to use a CSS framework is because I don't have the time to find out why IE doesn't display certain things correctly, so I wanted to know if something is available to ease the pain on the web developer's side. I'm thinking about hiring a web designer, but I'm a little short on the time for that too at the moment...

I think you will find that hiring someone who knows what they are doing will save you a LOT of time over trying to figure it out on your own.

But a CSS framework may help you with what you want. Try it out. But be aware that any time you spend trying to figure it out will be lost time if you come to the eventual realization that you need a designer.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.