Another Error

ajicles

Sorry to bug you guys again but I have another error:

Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'like, ip_address) VALUES ('','66.79.239.225')' at line 1

I am trying to make a rating system for a website and I am having a very hard time trying to understand why it is not working. I have set the database column to varchar which should store the ip address and keeps returning an error.

Source:

<?php
$IP = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
$LIKE = @$_GET['like_vid'] ;

echo $IP;
echo $LIKE;

$con = mysql_connect("****","****","****");
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
  }

mysql_select_db("ajilmf_likebook");

$sql="INSERT INTO lgu(like, ip_address) VALUES ('$LIKE','$IP')";

if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))
  {
  die('Error: ' . mysql_error());
  }  

mysql_close($con)

?>

And another problem is where I am trying to use a menu to post data to another column (like). And it is not echoing back to me on the PHP side of it. And I have no idea why the html form is not working..

HTML Form:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<body>

<form action="lgu.php" method="post">
Like This Video: 

<select name="like" size="2" id="like">
  <option value="yes" selected="selected">yes</option>
  <option value="no">no</option>
</select>

<input name="submit" type="submit" id="submit" value="Submit" />

<label for="like"></label>
</form>

</body>
</html>

lgu.php is the php source above.

All I am trying to do is record either yes or no and the ip address. I could of used a Boolean for true or false but I don't wanna get myself confused lol.

Thanks

~ AJ  :)

For the sql error, Im thinking it could be 1 of these:

1: there should be a space between your table and your rows

2: like is a reserveed keywork, you should use quotes

Try

INSERT INTO lgu (`like`, `ip_address`) VALUES ('$LIKE','$IP')

For the form, you dont use the same vaiable name, and you have specified post in the form. Try

$LIKE = $_POST['like'];

Thanks alot it worked :)

Full Texts  	 like_video  	 ip_address	Edit 	Delete 	yes 	66.79.239.225

Works perfectly. Now I just go make it make a new table for each video that is posted. So its going to be a huge database, I'd say about 200-300 tables with about 2000 rows each at the most. Most likely be less than that.

Thanks

~AJ

Well there is going to be a lot of videos in the data base and having to log each ip for each video so people can't vote more than once per video. So I though I could have a master table called video_index and the video viewing page will have a id on the end of the url like: http://mywebsite.com/video.php?id=1 and it adds the under to a variable with video_ before the number so its: video_1 and video_1 is a table and video_1 would have logged the ips of people who voted for that video.

~ AJ

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.