IIS6, IWA and 404

swharrell

We are running a Windows 2003 Server with IIS6 and Php 5.2.11 in CGI mode with FastCGI enabled. This is in a Windows domain and and I am having a problem with our Intranet site. I have secured a directory on the site using Integrated Windows Authentication. A valid authorized domain user can access the directory and any pages within it without any problem but, a valid unauthorized domain user receives a 404 error page immediately when trying to access a php page within the directory. If the unauthorized user attempts to access an html page they are correctly presented a login prompt. I need to figure out why the attempt to access a php page is generating a 404 error instead of presenting them with a login prompt. The html and php pages I have tested are empty with the exception of the proper tags (head, body, etc..) so no includes, links or anything like that. All other php files in other non-secured directories work.

Yes, I have searched the forum and not found an answer but if I missed it, please point me to it.

Yes, Php is an allowed MIME type.

RESOLVED! When using php in CGI mode on a Windows IIS server make sure you have also installed and enabled FastCGI. Also run through the manual installation steps for FastCGI. It seems that even though I ran the FastCGI installer and the scripts not all the changes were implemented. After running through the manual installation and entering the values to the IIS metabase and the fcgiext.ini file everything now works.

FastCGI installation instructions: http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/247/using-fastcgi-to-host-php-applications-on-iis-60

Also, contrary to popular belief and recommendations for fixing authentication issues with php and IIS, after reading the comment from Bill Staples in his blog  ”Mime types *are not* used for dynamic content, so you should never configure the Web server mime types to serve PHP, or IIS is likely to serve out your source code as plain text.” Good to know. Thanks Bill.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.