Problem with count() in query

hadoob024

I'm having problems writing this one particular query.  I have two tables, CARRIER and PATIENTS.  There's a one-to-many relationship between the two.  Basically, in one query, I want to pull the CARRIERNAME and CARRIERADDRESS of every CARRIER record in addition to a count of how many PATIENTS records have that particular CARRIERID.  Does that make sense?  So far I've tried:

SELECT ic.id,ic.name,ic.carrieraddress,ic.carriercity,ic.carrierstate,ipp.id
FROM carrier ic, patient_procedure ipp
WHERE ic.deleted=0 AND
ic.id = ipp.carrier_id
ORDER BY ic.name;

Which doesn't work, and:

SELECT ic.id,ic.name,ic.carrieraddress,ic.carriercity,ic.carrierstate,count(ipp.id)
WHERE ic.deleted=0 AND
ic.id = ipp.carrier_id
ORDER BY ic.name;

Which also doesn't work.  Any thoughts on where I'm going wrong?  Thanks!

Huh?  Sorry.  I don't get what you're asking.  Here's the table structure though for both tables:

CARRIER:

id

name

carrieraddress

carriercity

carrierstate

PATIENT_PROCEDURE:

id

name

carrier_id

So I need a list of every carrier along with a count of how many patient_procedure records have that particular carrier_id.

Nope.  No error message.  It's just that the result set is not what I was looking for.  I want my result set to look like:

ID      NAME      CARRIERADDRESS      CARRIERSTATE      CARRIERCITY      count of patient_procedures

123    BCBS      999 main st.                TX                        Dallas                15

234    Cigna      123 main st.              AZ                        Phoenix              31

And so on.

:shrug:

okey, and then?

post your php code. probably your fetch mode is not what you like...

and user 'AS' like that:

SELECT ic.id AS ID,ic.name AS NAME,ic.carrieraddress AS CARRIERADDRESS... and so on

Here's the query:

SELECT ic.id,ic.name,ic.carrieraddress,ic.carriercity,ic.carrierstate,ipp.id
WHERE ic.deleted=0 AND
ic.id = ipp.carrier_id
ORDER BY ic.name;

Spits out the result set:

ID      NAME      CARRIERADDRESS      CARRIERSTATE      CARRIERCITY      PATIENT_PROCEDURE ID

123    BCBS      999 main st.                TX                        Dallas                  123

123    BCBS      999 main st.                TX                        Dallas                  234

123    BCBS      999 main st.                TX                        Dallas                  345

123    BCBS      999 main st.                TX                        Dallas                  456

234    Cigna      123 main st.                AZ                        Phoenix              345

234    Cigna      123 main st.                AZ                        Phoenix              456

234    Cigna      123 main st.                AZ                        Phoenix              567

234    Cigna      123 main st.                AZ                        Phoenix              678

But I need a result set like the following:

ID      NAME      CARRIERADDRESS      CARRIERSTATE      CARRIERCITY      count of patient_procedures

123    BCBS      999 main st.                TX                        Dallas                5

234    Cigna      123 main st.                AZ                        Phoenix              4

Perfect!!!  That worked.  My final query (which works) is:

SELECT ic.id,ic.name,ic.carrieraddress,ic.carriercity,ic.carrierstate,count(ipp.id)
WHERE ic.deleted=0 AND
ic.id = ipp.carrier_id
GROUP BY ic.id
ORDER BY ic.name;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.