A little trouble with Revisions

paulman888888

Hello there;

I have a table that holds lyrics submitted from users but now i want to allow my users to edit other people lyrics.

My table is like this;

id - lyrics_title - the_lyrics

My question is what is the most efficant why of allowing revivsions to be made?

My ideas;

1) Edit all the current lyrics
- I would update each lyric by selecting it then storing in a new array then serializing and finaley put it back in.
- For every new revision i would simply unserialize add the new revision the serialize and store it again

2) Add a new coloumn
- I would add a new coloumn called parent
- For new lyrics it would have a value of 0
- If a revision is made then i would set the value of parent to the id of parent and keep track of the revisions by using order by
- This would also allow me to see who made what changes

If you have any ideas please let me know as this is a big change I am going to be making and I want it to be the right one.

Thank-you for your time

Paul

I would definitely keep revisions if possible.

Sounds like you would be better off having two tables - one with songID and title, then a separate one with songID, lyrics and revisionNumber?

If you store it all in one table, you'll end up duplicating at least the song title in many rows (see db normalization).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.