<b> overriding css in firefox

brady123

If I have the following code:

<b>Hello there<p>sir.</p>

and in my CSS the "p" tag has font-weight:normal;  the "sir" turns out bold. It seems to function correctly (making "sir" normal weight in Chrome in Explorer, but not Firefox.

Any ideas/fixes?

You shouldn't have a <p> tag in the middle of <b> tags, it should be the other way around. That being said, the <strong> tag is more semantically correct that the <b> tag, and should really be used instead of the <b> tag.

First, thanks for the tip with <strong>.

Second, the reason it's formatted like that is because the <b> tag came out of a MySQL entry. I'm using a SUBSTRING tag to cut off what is output after x amount of words. It happens to cut off after the <b>, and therefore leaves the rest of the page bold.

Hmm, that still doesn't quite get what I'm going for. Perhaps if I explained myself a little better (by the way, thank you SO much for the help - I really appreciate it).

I'm running a query in MySQL to output questions and answers.

<?php
  $i=0;
  while ($i < $num and $i < 5) 
  {
  echo "<a href='/accounting-questions/index.php?qid=" . $qid . "'>$question</a><br>";
  echo "<p>$answer</p>"; 
  $i++;
  }
?>

In my MySQL database, the $answer field contains HTML (to format the answer how I want it to be). When I use the substring function to cut off $answer after 35 words, I am sometimes left in the middle of a bolded statement (for example: "you <strong>need to" where it cuts off before I include </strong> to end the statement).

THEN, on my next loop, the $question and $answer variables are bolded because that <strong> tag never was closed, since the substring only grabbed the first 35 words - before the tag was closed.

In my <p> tag, on my style sheet, I have font-weight:normal;    This seems to revert the text back to normal in Chrome and Explorer, but not Firefox. Firefox keeps the <strong> attribute from the first instance.

Does this make sense? I'm still fairly new to PHP and MySQL databases, so perhaps there is a better way. Thanks!

The problem with strip tags is that I WANT to keep my html/php tags in the output. It's just that the <strong> tag is overriding the font-weight:normal; style tag, even though the font-weight:normal tag comes after the <strong> tag.

Does that make sense?

Then you go to the other suggestion I made:

$answer = str_replace('<strong>', '', $answer);
$answer = str_replace('</strong>', '', $answer);

This will remove any strong tags, both opening and closing (this works for the situation where the closing tag also exists in the text.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.