Optical Character Recognition in PHP

lopes_andre

OCR is a very computation expensive process involving relatively complex mathematical operations. PHP, being loosely typed, interpreted language is not really fast in such operations when compared to compiled or precompiled languages like C/C++ or Java.

I think you should look for an OCR application, that can be run on your server from command line. This way you can use PHP's exec command to pass requests from your web application to OCR application and present results back to browser client.

I would have to agree with Mchl here.  OCR can be very resource expensive, however there is some free software called SimpleOCR (http://www.simpleocr.com/) that can do the job that you want and even offers a SDK for customisation into your own application... though this may not be needed as the basic program offers a command line.  I have never used this software myself so I do not know how good it is... but if you are able to install it on your server it may serve your purpose.

Acutally, I think this app only works for Windows... so if you have a Linux server you may have to find another solution... I think Clara OCR *may* do the job too... which is a Linux app.

• 2 years later...

What technology should I use to extract text from images online? The website is in PHP. It is not a good idea to do this in PHP?

You could try to use a cloud service through web api. It lets you upload an image and send you back an OCR’ed data.

This service works with PHP, Java, C#, Python and others.

On the website http://ocrsdk.com/pr...ming-languages/ you can find Quick Start Guides and Code Samples for PHP.

Edited by kudryavcef

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.