Downloadable zip file times out around 200mb. using php5 works php4.

strathq

Hiya

I've been using OSCommerce and its always had issues downloading. So I installed OpenCart & Prestashop.

And the issues of downloads persists. My largest file is 408mb and it always gets to about 215 mb or so.

Anyways... i got fed up trying to call the script via Paypal... and so am using an old version of linklonipn and 2 other download scripts that hide the true URL.

Same problem.

My server is using PHP 5.2.10

I've asked my hosts to help and they just keep trying to download the files... i know because i get notification via email.

Anyways... I have the option to switch to PHP4.4.9...

when i do this... linklokipn & my other 2 scripts download without any problem... all 408mb!

BUT.... OpenCart & Prestashop require PHP5...

So I'm trying to amend some scripts to see whats causing the issue.

I'm working on the theory that PHP5 outputs to browser differently... i keep reading that the whole file is trying to be sent to cache... and the buffer gets full...

I also read that readfile function doesn't like large files... so i've tried fopen (piecing bits of scripts together).

any help appreciated...

• 3 weeks later...

I believe there is a php.ini variable which controls the max downloadable file size. If the file is too large, your php.ini variable for timeouts might also take effect as the download operation (regarded as a single operation) has not completed yet.

Look up the php.ini var for max downloadable file size and change it.

Cheers for the reply...

"php.ini var for max downloadable file size"

checked and this variable isn't listed. Also I'm limited to what I can amend in the ini file...

I've tried creating my own ini file & htaccess - putting them in the same directory... but they are ignored.

Its been almost a month since i asked the support team of my host for assistance (they've changed a couple of PHP settings - not sure what they were... but they throttled my download speed considerably & of course still failed).

If I switch to PHP 4 I can download the same zip file without any problems... in fact last night i downloaded the same file 5 times 'at the same time'...

PHP 5 seems to output the whole file into a buffer... cannot seem to override this and as I say the support team is useless.

Below are the server settings I'm working with...

PHP5: Server API CGI/FastCGI

PHP4:Server API Apache 2.0 Handler

Looks like you will have to use PHP 4. This happens sometimes. This is unrelated to PHP, but when my dept upgraded from Adobe Distiller v6 to v7, we started having all kinds of problems with images in PDFs getting lines in them. An upgrade is not always a good thing.

Does PHP use any unix libraries that might have been changed? Perhaps the setting is in an internet library at the unix level.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.