MySQL event for routine emails at 15 min intervals

ThisisForReal

Disclaimer: I'm very new to MySQL.  I'm looking for direction on good keywords, resources to google to learn best practices on this topic.

I have a MySQL database that contains upcoming events with host and participant tables and RSVP deadlines. Hosts and participants access the dB through PHP.  Rather than have hosts log in to the site after the rsvp deadline passes to get the info they need, I want to learn how to make the server check every 15 minutes to see if any RSVP deadlines have passed.  When it finds events with just expired rsvp deadlines, then execute a stored procedure (yet to be written) that will allow me to email the hosts all the pertinent information.

I understand that the MySQL event scheduler alone won't enable me to perform all the tasks I need to do (and from what I can gather, events are not preserved and are removed upon final execution).

If anyone can provide me with a good place to learn how to go about setting up a ... and here's how new I am - don't even know how to describe what I'm looking for - a module or framework for creating this routine, I'd be very grateful.  Is it some sort of php proxy that stays open somewhere, or is it initiated on the MySQL side?  What's the best practice for this type of action?

Thanks so much!

MySQL's event scheduler can't help you but not for the reasons you stated. The most important reason is that MySQL hasn't got any means to run external applications (unless you create a mail server bridge as a storage engine plugin).

I would advise using cron to run a PHP script at acheduled intervals.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.