Trying to change Varchar to Text. Please help.

natastna2

Hello. I'm having problems with my site as the search engine friendly URLS component can only take incoming URLS of less than 255 characters. Therefore, I simply want to change the Jos_sefurls orig_url column to say text as type rather than varchar. So I attempted just changing it and get: MySQL Error 1170: BLOB/TEXT Column Used in Key Specification Without a Key Length. So I did some research and ran DROP INDEX origurl ON jos_sefurls; which was a success. However, I still get the same message trying to change from Varchar to Text. Knowing very little about MySQL I could really do with some help. I'm sure the issue is very simple.

Server version: 5.1.41

You are correct. I did try changing Varchar to a higher amount but got the same error previously so had not tried again. Now it works great thanks :-) One more quick question. Does the value/limit have any effect? As in is there any difference to putting the limit at 10,000 or 1,000. Does it affect the speed? Thanks a lot. Ant.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.