IE 7 Issue

daebat

The site in development: http://pointthinktank.aquablueweb.com

My problem... IE7.

I am doing a conditional call for IE7 styles but for some reason if a style is already previously declared in the regular stylesheets, the IE7 version doesn't overwrite them (and I've even used !important). Using IEtester I can see that the styles get applied but it seems to be choosing the regular stylesheet over IE7 styles. I know that it is working because if I input #top {display:none;} the top div disappears. Any help would be appreciated. (I know that the site is way overloaded with Social bullcrap but our client insists on all of this design...)

I know a lot of designers might not like this, but why not simply recommend your users to upgrade their browser? Personal preference aside, the reason why most users don't upgrade, is simply down to the "getting used to factor".

I got many reasons not to support IE officially. But I've found that Later versions (IE7+), actually render CSS quite well. I would say, so well that its eliminated the need for hacks, (if you think about how to apply your styles). The only thing i don't like about IE, is that Microsoft is kinda slow at upgrading their browser, fixing bugs etc.

The topic of Browser compatibility is still a hot topic. But if you really think about it, it doesn't really have to be. Its like trying to support windows 95, for applications taking advantage of technologies supported by windows xp. It just wont happen, the only difference is, that its a whole lot easier to upgrade the browser, then it is to upgrade the os. Which should make it much easier for web-designers to decide which browsers to support, and which not to support. Plus, windows 9x users, do still have the option to download certain versions of opera, which work quite well on their os. (I've tried myself on a older system, which i have next to my main PC).

Of cause everyone wont be "able" to just ditch support for older user agents, but in the majority of cases, it actually wont matter one tiny bit. Don't get me wrong, i don't mind supporting older browser versions, some companies may have valid reasons. But i just haven't seen any so far, so i don't do it personally. I focus on the latest browser versions, and recommend the ones which support the standards that i currently use. Either people leave for other sites, or upgrade for free, its up to them..

Maybe someone else would take the time to look into your actual problem.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.