Feedback on DB design

T-Bird

Hello.  Let me preface this by saying I'm not experienced in database architecture, I've only worked on a few small, simple, low-security (, MySQL) databases for blogs/forums.  The following is the result of some brainstorming I did, there is probably a better method, I'm requesting feedback.

I was recently trying to think of how I - in my limited experience - would go about making a database more secure than my typical method.  Usually my database design consists of one user, Member, with read/write privileges on all tables for that database.  I would then have tables that hold all of a particular type of data for the community - I.E. a users table or a posts table.  In PHP I would have hard coded into the pages (or into an included file) the username and password for 'Member' which I would access the database with.

As an example I would have a users table and a posts table that would look something like:

Users

ID, Username, PasswordHash, DoB, FirstName, LastName, JoinDate, etc, etc

ID, UserID, Text, Date, etc, etc

Of course I would use php to limit the queries so that only information that belongs to a particular user would be given to them.  However I got to thinking, if someone manages to find/crack the password for 'Member' then they can read/destroy the data for ALL other users since they have access to the whole Users table.

Now obviously there are methods of securing databases, but I haven't picked up any books on database architecture (if you know a good one let me know), so this is what I got out of my personal brainstorming.  Perhaps I'm spot on, perhaps I'm in left-field (probably the latter).

Is it acceptable to have a separate user and separate tables created for every new member to my website? For example, when a user registers as a member and picks the user name 'JaneDoe' with the password 'Foo' I would create a user in my DBMS, 'JaneDoe', with the password 'Foo' I would then create the tables 'JaneDoePersonalInfo', 'JaneDoeCreditCards', 'JaneDoeFriends', etc.  Only user JaneDoe would have access to the tables prefaced by her name, and she could access only her tables.  My php pages, rather than having a global 'Member' user coded into the page, would take her username/password input and use these to log into the database.

My thinking was that now, worst-case scenario, an attacker can only access one client's information for every password they steal - rather than getting all user information with one password.  But I know very little about databases and even less about making them efficient and stable.

SO my questions are:

1) Does this method work, or is there some major oversight on my part?

2) Do DBMSs (MySQL particularly) even allow you to have that many users/tables?

3) Are there any security disadvantages this way?

4) What are the performance (dis)advantages to this method in small, medium, or enterprise sized applications - will this even operate at an acceptable rate?

5) Is there a better (more accepted) way to do this?

I wish I was a little more educated on the subject, but I figured the best way to learn is to ask.  Please let me have any feedback (or good book recommendations).  Thank you.

I just realized that in such a scenario whenever a new member registers the php page would still need to use a statically defined user but this time the user would have privileges to alter my mysql user and grant tables.  If anything this would be less secure.

Guess I got in over my head on this one, sorry for wasting your time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.