new lines within strings \n and making them appear in phpmail()

ThisisForReal

I'm working on a project where I have concatenated a string that lists all of the members of a group and want to email them to the group administrator.  An example string may look like this:

$string = 'Mark Ruiz | class A  | January 7, 2010\n\nJason Adams | class B  | January 9, 2010.\n\nDan Hernandez | class A  | March 4, 2010.';

When I put that into the message of my email:

$body = "Hello $admin,\n\nThis is the list of members to your group:\n$string."

The \n\n that separates each member in the string is still considered part of the string, so the email doesn't recognize that it should start a new line.

Does anybody know a good work around to this problem?  Thanks so much!

No luck on a variety of attempts to populate the string with various forms of \n, inside double quotes, single quotes, with \r, without it.

So I'll back up a moment and show the bigger picture and see if someone knows a better solution to my dilemma.

Objective: Send an email using php's mail() to a group leader that will show all the members of the group.  Since I'm sending a bit more information than just the name of each member, formatting the email is KEY. 

My Approach: The easiest way to format the letter to be legible is to insert a carriage return or new line after each member.  To do that I tried the following:

list_of_members = array();
foreach($member_first as $key => $value) $list_of_members[$key] = $value . ' ' . $member_last[$key] . ' | ' . $class[$key] . '  | ' . $join[$key];

$members_string = implode('\n\n',$part_line); //I'm trying to put the carriage new line here

Now I have one string that contains all the members with the '\n\n' between each member.  When inserting this into the body of the email, I thought the contents would create new lines in the email.

// Send Email
$to = "$email";
$subject = "Members of your group";
$message = "Hello $admin,\n\nThis is the list of members to your group:\n$members_string" . 
                     "\n\nRegards,\r\n Team Leader Alpha\n\n";
$headers = 'From: noreply@mysite.net' . "\r\n" .
	    'Reply-To: noreply@mysite.net' . "\r\n" .
	    'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();
mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers) or die("Email was not sent");

The reality is that while all other carriage returns work, the email shows the member string verbatim without following the direction of the new line command (example follows:):

Hello John,

This is the list of members to your group:

Mark Ruiz | class A  | January 7, 2010\n\nJason Adams | class B  | January 9, 2010.\n\nDan Hernandez | class A  | March 4, 2010.

Regards,

Team Leader Alpha

What other method could I use to get the formatting in the email to allow for a carriage return between each member?  Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.