conditionals for image rollovers

turpentyne

As a newbie, I've been combining scripts together to create a page that allows viewers to choose from different visual elements of a leaf that will be used to search a database. There are rollovers for each anchor dropdown, and a center image that is in layers to "assemble" the leaf.

But I've run into a logistical nightmare and I'm not sure which is the best way to handle this.

if variations were slight, i would have no problem. But to show some characteristics I need to know what one or two underlying images were as well. In other words, if I am choosing borders, and I have a round image. The border would have to know to put a round scalloped border - not a square one. (And if somebody goes back to change the shape, I would need the border to automatically know to change to a square scalloped border)

Can I build conditionals within the layers? Or does it need to be inline with the image? is there another way to do this before my script becomes a disaster when I try to accommodate for numerous variations. Can I get a snippet or two of code to send me in the right direction?

I hope that makes some sense. Here's the page that I'm working on.

http://www.mergecreate.com/test25n.html

not to sound stupid, but I think I speak for every developer on the board when I say, you overcomplicated your post..

If you "dumbed" it down a bit we'd probably understand it better.. but I'm gonna give it a shot and see if I nailed it..

Basically you want each element in your drop downs to do a specific something.. well it is possible.. your a tags have onclick events.. the simplest way would be to build a function for each option.. however, the BEST option.. would be to create 1 function, pass in "acute" "oblong" etc into the function.. and have a switch statement handle each possibility, but I'm not exactly sure your experience level, but both would be in the beginner category so you should be fine :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.