Need Linux help to install a package

mbudman

Hello,

I am working with a light (unsupported) version of what appears to be a flavor Red Hat.

I would like to install Samba on it, but this version does not have the rpm package installer (please excuse me if I am not explaining this correctly as I am very new to Linux).

Is there a way to install Samba without the rpm package installer or better yet can rpm package installer be installed somehow?

Any advice / assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

mark@budman.ca

Well there are a couple of things you can do.  Depending on the version of Redhat / Fedora / CentOS that you are you can get the packages from yum or up2date.  Now this will just download and install RPM packages for your distribution.  If I am understanding your post correctly you do not have access to RPM at all which makes no sense as RPM is a very key part of the Redhat distribution.  The RPM acronym itself stands for Redhat Package Management.  If this is the case and you have no access to the RPM binary then your only other option is to compile from source.  My suggestion would be to get RPM working and either get the RPM's via up2date or yum or you can download them from sites like http://www.rpmfind.net/

You could always try the hard way (not all that hard really) and download the Samba source code from the samba website then do a make, then make install. The fun part is finding where it put itself after ;) if all goes well.  Ultimately I second whit3fir3 - a redhat flavor that doesn't have the redhat package manager seems really odd. Are you using a GUI or the command line? Perhaps there's just no link to it from your GUI menu but if you google how to use rpm's from the command line you'll see it's not too bad. Also check your distro's website. If it for some reason has the debian or slackware package manager (debian = apt get, slackware usually comes in tgz's) just find the appropriate download of samba (might find it on your distro's page or the samba site) or download and install it from source.

If you're not comfortable doing that or don't have the time I'd recommend switching to a more mainstream variant of Linux that's a little more standard. No elitism intended by that - it's just a good idea to stick with the better known distributions until you really know your way around.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.