Problem with padding

Porl123

I've noticed how in internet explorer there's extra padding around html objects like divs, which is a problem for my website design. My design uses an inline div which I need to have no padding. In most other browsers there seems to be a gap of 1 pixel all around the text inside the div, however in IE it looks about 2 pixels, which isn't much but it knocks my design out of balance. This is what I have:

<div style="display:inline; padding:0; margin:0px;">Text</div>

Is there a way to remove this extra padding in IE? Thanks in advance

What IE - there are three in common use, all render differently.

Check to make sure you have no HTML errors in your code. Also check to see that you have a doctype - without one IE goes into quirks mode which makes stuff render funny.

Yeah I've just used the validator but it didn't return any errors or warnings. I've advanced with the design now and I've got this:

<div style="display:inline-block; height:16px; padding:2px 0px 0px 15px; margin-right:10px; background:url(/im/icons/email-1.gif) no-repeat; color:#555;">blah@hotmail.com</div>

It looks fine in browsers like safari, firefox and opera but again in internet explorer 8 the text seems to be 1 pixel further down than in other browser. Normally I'd just accept it but because of the icon it looks more off than it is.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.