sessions not expiring

hey guys,

i recently changed my session save directory to "/home/jacko/LocalHost/sess" using htaccess, but now ive noticed that sessions dont seem to be expiring, i still have sessions in the folder from testing my website yesterday. Was i incorrect in thinking that sessions are supposed to expire on exit?

below is a shot of my php.ini... can anyone see any problems with my setup?..

iekthf.png

thanks

unless anyone can suggest a better way, ill have to go with the suggested answer from this post i just found:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/520237/how-do-i-expire-a-php-session-after-30-minutes

...which basically says to record a time stamp (and update it on user activity), then if there hasn't been any activity for X amount of time, then unset/destroy the session

now ive found another problem..

after doing as the post on stackoverflow.com suggests, i found that when using session_destroy() or unset($_SESSION['blah']) all they do is remove all the data inside the session, but leave the empty session file behind... how do i remove the file too?

...otherwise im going to have a folder full of old, empty files

will i just have to use

unlink('/home/jacko/LocalHost/sess/sess_[sESSION ID HERE]')

..or is there a php session setting for removing empty sessions?

thanks

Old session data files are removed by session garbage collection, which runs randomly based on session.gc_probability and session.gc_divisor when you execute session_start() statements.

Rather that rely on incomplete bits and pieces of information you find posted around on the Internet, you should read the relevant section of the php.net documentation to find out the full story for whatever you are attempting to do with php.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.