Google Chrome AJAX issue: onreadystatechange never triggering

DarkSnake747

On my site, I have 1 or 2 areas on the page at a time that displays some list of people. To ensure code is not duplicated, I have a php script that dynamically builds the JavaScript needed for each page that uses control flags to prevent the same js code from being added more than 1 time. The syntax of the JS is correct. That said, here's what happens...

Click on a member name and a loading pane appears and then the request is made.

The onreadystatechange is set inline to a function that takes the returned data and displays it in place of the loading bar.

It is really quite simple... however, Google Chrome doesn't finish the process. It seems (after placing an alert in the onreadystatechange function) that the ready state is not changing... or at least it is not triggering the event. It doesn't work randomly on several pages, and other pages it never works - all in Chrome. IE and FF handle it fine.

If you want to see it in action, go to evileyegames.com, create an account, and go to the Friends and Foes pages... then the sub page for "Others" (people you are neither friend nor foe with). Click a name and check it out. I used dev tools to monitor it. The readystate does change... according the tool, but the function is never triggered. As for success or not on the request, reviewing the resources in the dev tools shows the request and the completely correct response.  :-\ so confused...

Any ideas? Help?  :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.