Help with :hover

peter11

Hey,

Im working on this site: http://xosite.co.uk/testdrupal/

If you hover over the menu you will notice that it moves to the right. I know this is due to the padding element however i don't know the way to give a box around it without using padding.

Code for the CSS of the links:

.menu {font-family:Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-style:normal; color:white;}
.menu a:link {color:white; text-decoration:none; font-size:16px}
.menu a:visited {color:white; text-decoration:none; font-size:16px;}
.menu a:hover { background-image:url(../images/menu_hover.jpg); padding-bottom:10px; padding-top:8px; padding-left:7px; padding-right:7px; text-decoration:none; font-size:16px;}
.menu a:active {color:red; text-decoration:none; font-size:16px;}

CSS code for the nav section

#navigation {
  background-image:url(../images/nav_bar.jpg);
  background-repeat:repeat-x;
  float: left;
  margin-left: 0;
  margin-right: -100%;
  padding: 0;
  padding-top:9px;
  padding-left:20px;
  word-spacing:30px;
  width: 816px;
  height: 40px;}

I hope you can see the kinda thing i am aiming for here. Please advice how you would do it.

You can have them always have a padding, just not always have a background color/image - that way they don't move, just colour.

Only other thing I can think of that's simple would be to make each 'box' it's own div, within each have a normal text link. But then put a onMouseOver effect via Javascript.

Or even use an image in the background (which can be a transparent image with text at first, to a blue background with text). The hovering would happen by making the whole image a link (with no border, to look pretty).

You could possibly achieve this through using a button, and making it look and act like a link (transparent background, no border, etc) and then upon it being pressed (Javascript, or :hover pseudo-class) it changes it's styling.

Actually it would still be simple to have them made from an array, but if you don't want to do it that way I won't bother to explain.

As for padding of the array, how are you doing it? You said you already had padding. If you match the padding in your #navigation to what you have on your .menu a: styling...

What do you mean it takes forever for the color to load up? An image always has a load time, a color should be instantaneous (ish).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.