Help with a mysql error, that i can't solve

menntarra_34

Hello, my problem is the following:

I have a php script that uses two mysql queries, but the query can never finish cause it is stopped by some kind of limitation. My Mysql error_log only shows this message:

/usr/sbin/mysqld: Sort aborted

The queries are SELECTs and they try to sort about 500.000 line of data based on numbers. The table size is about 35MB

I know that this could be some kind of limitation, but i have no clue what to change. Here i post my my.cnf:

[client]
port            = 3306
socket		  = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysqld_safe]
nice            = 0

[mysqld]
user            = mysql
port            = 3306
basedir         = /usr
datadir         = /var/lib/mysql
tmpdir          = /tmp
language        = /usr/share/mysql/english
skip-external-locking

key_buffer         = 16M
key_buffer_size         = 864M
sort_buffer_size        = 1M
read_buffer_size        = 3M
read_rnd_buffer_size    = 1M
max_allowed_packet      = 16M
thread_stack            = 128K
table_cache             = 3264
open_files_limit        = 3200
thread_cache_size       = 320
max_heap_table_size     = 1024M
tmp_table_size          = 512M
query_cache_limit       = 5M
query_cache_size        = 512M
query_cache_type        = 1
query_cache_min_res_unit= 1K
low_priority_updates    = 1
join_buffer_size        = 4M
max_connections         = 1000
long_query_time         = 10
log-slow-queries        = /var/log/slowq.log
interactive_timeout = 60
wait_timeout = 60
skip-bdb

[mysqldump]
quick
quote-names
max_allowed_packet      = 16M

[mysql]
#no-auto-rehash # faster start of mysql but no tab completition

[isamchk]
key_buffer              = 16M 

Here was a proof I can't read

[edit]

It seems that this can happen, if MySQL runs out of space on hdd to store temporary data. Check if there are no filesystem quotes that could be limitng MySQL's disk use.

Which MySQL version is that? What is search_log table's storage engine?

well, if i just do the query in phpmyadmin, so not with the .php script, the same error occurs, the query can't be executed, and mysql stops to function. So it has nothing to do with the filesystem, as all this is done in memory. And the problem is not with the table size, cause it is growing just fine, there isn't any limit, only with the query...

...... So it has nothing to do with the filesystem, as all this is done in memory.

that is not necessarily true

according to Mysql manual in reference to sorting using the filesort algorithm:

For each row, store a pair of values in a buffer (the sort key and the row pointer). The size of the buffer is the value of the sort_buffer_size system variable.

When the buffer gets full, run a qsort (quicksort) on it and store the result in a temporary file. Save a pointer to the sorted block. (If all pairs fit into the sort buffer, no temporary file is created.)

your sort_buffer_size is only 1 MB, therefore is possible than the sort is creating temporary chunk files... hence the answer from MCHL is perfectly valid... look for space limitations in your temporary file system

Well... you are right. i have to increase tmpDSK, i check the command while executing the query and it seems to increase and then it reaches the limit...

I just don't understand WHY can't the mysql error log explain more than "Sort aborted" message... it is so stupid...

Thanks for the help, i'll report back when i increased the tmpDSK size, if it worked or not.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.