Geolocation Database and API mixture

mo

I need some input on my design. I am creating a site similar to foursquare and I am working on my geo-location classes and logic.

Option 1: I was going to use the ipinfodb website's API to gather location data for a visitor's IP address and save the returned data in a database table. This way I could always check the table first (to avoid the API overhead) than use the API if no result was found. I figure eventually my database table will be almost 100% and the API will barely be used.

Option 2: My other option is the same only I start with a huge table of IP address and location data that I downloaded for free from various data gathering sites and use the API as needed to update the table with missing entries.

I guess both options are the same and will work the same. My main issue is that when a visitor performs a search for locations, I do not just want o show locations in their city (which I obtain from their IP). I want to show searches from nearby cities, this is where the idea to initially start off with a huge database table came from. Since I would need to have a table which contained all US cities and their nearby cities within a specific radius. This is the design that I am having trouble with. I could use the API at ws.geonames.org to get the nearby cities and build a database table as I go just like option 1.

I guess I'm just looking on some feedback on if this is the way that this is normally done or should I go another route.

Ok. Well this is a minor issue and the visitor will be able to manually change their location. In regard to my initial question and I guess based on your feed back.  It would be a good idea to start with a master database of IP addresses by location and maintain the database when the site encounters a new IP.

I think I answered my own question. I will review the various free IP geolocation databases out there and build my master tables.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.