PHP Includes 1 directory deep

moleyb

Hi Guys, im really hoping one of you php guru's can shed some light on this as its being bugging me for months...

Im trying you access a php include, in a page 1 directory deep into a site (say one down from the index.php) - with no luck.  My includes are in a folder that is on the same level as the index.php file for the website.

Iv tried using this way:

<?  include("../includes/footer.php"); ?>

And this way:

<?php include $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . "includes/footer.php";  ?>

It works locally (using MAMP), but not live on the net.  Im getting this error:

Warning: main() [function.main]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/ext/default/includes/footer.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (.:/tmp) in /ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/sita/resources/members_area.php on line 53

Warning: main(/ext/default/includes/footer.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in /ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/sita/resources/members_area.php on line 53

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/ext/default/includes/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/sita/resources/members_area.php on line 53

Really appreciate anyone who has a few minutes to look at this.  Cheers Guys

Mike

Cheers for looking at this Chris,

Iv set the includes folder to 777 for now, and it still not happy : (

Actually my question is slight off for where im testing it right now.  Im actually trying to access an includes folder that is 1 folder back (and not in the root folder of the site).  Can I ask what do you use for that?

Thanks again.

$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] is not setup properly on your server. You would need to speak with your web host to get it corrected.

It is set to /ext/default/

For your account, it should be set to your document root folder, which looks like it should be /ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/

Thanks PFMaBiSmAd, ill look into that for when I put it on its own hosting.

Cheers Chris, didn't seem to like it again got this error:

Warning: main() [function.main]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/sita/resources/../includes/footer.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (.:/tmp/) in /ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/sita/resources/members_area.php on line 53

Warning: main(/ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/sita/resources/../includes/footer.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in /ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/sita/resources/members_area.php on line 53

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/sita/resources/../includes/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/sita/resources/members_area.php on line 53

Any suggestions, thanks again.

What you could do is first define the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'];

$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] = '/ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/';

include( $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . 'includes/footer.php' );

or just use the complete path in your include:

include( '/ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/includes/footer.php' );

Hi Chris,

Thanks again for taking a look. I just can't see how its failing!  Using the complete path I get this error:

Warning: main() [function.main]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/includes/footer.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (.:/tmp/) in /ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/sita/resources/members_area.php on line 53

Warning: main(/ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/includes/footer.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in /ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/sita/resources/members_area.php on line 53

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/includes/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/sita/resources/members_area.php on line 53

Here's a URL to what im working on: http://www.fourthelement.com/sita/resources/members_area.php

Many thanks

Mike

/ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/includes/footer.php

I'm guessing should be

/ext/f/fo/fourthelement.com/html/sita/includes/footer.php

If it's not the case you might want to look at this:

not within the allowed path(s)

This is more to do with your host than any PHP. You'll have to contact your host and show them the error.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.