Security issues with upload script

Hello,

I am currently writing a modest file upload script to automate the making of picture galleries. I plan on uploading a .zip file and then unpack that it in a folder I specify.

My questions:

1. I've done some reading on the net, unpacking the .zip file should go with shell_exec function right? But is this not a security risk, just having shell_exec turned on on your server?

2. I cannot chmod the folder I want to put the files in to 777, which is needed for the script to work. I assume this is because the user php is running under does not have enough permissions. Anybody got an idea how to solve this? Create a new user with more privileges and run php under that one? Another piece of coding instead of the ftp_chmod and chmod functions?

3. Is there anyone here who has a similar script running and willing to explain how he/she made it secure?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.