Could I benefit from apps like Joomla?

naike

Hey.

I'm creating my own website, I'm still in the learning stages, and I'm creating my own CMS at the moment, so I'm a beginner at php.

I was just wondering if it would be better to just use php apps that have already been created to do certain things, like e.g. instead of creating my own CMS, use Joomla? Just an example.

Basically my question is, would you recommend using apps like Joomla to replace my own code, or should I rather go on and create my own.

Is it considered unprofessional to use such php apps?

Would it hurt my learning if I just replaced my own code with php apps. (Installing the apps would probably require to understand how it works anyway?)

Is it considered unprofessional to use such php apps?

No.

Would it hurt my learning if I just replaced my own code with php apps?

Yes.  You don't even need to know any php to use Joomla! and other CMS.

Would (it) be better to just use php apps that have already been created to do certain things?

Depends what your goals are.  Are you trying to learn php or are you wanting to create websites?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The great thing about joomla is that there is just about a plugin for everything. from easy form builders to community management.

Joomla is also already optimized for search engines so you don't have to worry about that.

But like the others said. If you want to learn, its better to create your own.

Joomla has easily 10 or more man years invested in its design, not counting the scores of plugins, modules and templates.  The same could be said for some of the other leading CMS/blog packages like Drupal and Wordpress. 

There is actually a substantial learning curve involved in any of the CMS packages, however they also were designed to let people with no programming exprience add content and do some rudimentary management of their websites.  It's also good old php code so you can look at it and learn a lot about php by picking it apart, looking at plugins or templates or modules, and you can always write your own.

If you're just learning PHP however, a lot of that code might be over your head.  I don't think there's a right answer, although writing your own system is always a great learning experience. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.