Map system (overkill?)

madmenyo

Hey guys,

I'm thinking out a game and am now at a point where i'm designing the map system. But i'm not sure if it's way to much to handle for the database.

It's a sandbox sci-fi game and in the end there will be loads of system to fly to. Now for each system i am planning to add a system map of 100*100 tiles to warp too. And on arrival you enter the local map 100*100 tiled. So just 1 system would have 100.000.000 table entries for each map tile.

Now i'm still wondering if this would be to much gameplay wise. I might make it so you can only fly to significant locations on the system map like planets and astroid fields but then i still need all the table entries to build the map i guess.

100.000.000 I doubt you would want to insert all these records yourself, so a better approach would be:

1) define the boundaries of the game (can be any high number)

2) players are assigned a x- and y-coordinate (which needs to be unique and within the game boundaries for obvious reasons)

3) build the map: load any player-specific tiles for those present in the area and randomly generate tiles for all non-occupied tiles

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.