MySql - How do I count the Total Number of Different Enum / Set Types?

BioBob

Its a fairly stright forward question I think.

Lets say I have an Enum or a Set type, where I specify the specific values of the Set.  Say the field is called Fruits.  If I want to have more different types of Fruits available later, I can edit and add those new fruits to the set type later.  So lets say for right now I have Apples, Oranges, and Bananas.  In my php code, I could hard set these values, but I want to count the total number of different values, or simply return the values themselves.  I'll be happy with either an INT for returning a COUNT(*) or the Value, IE mysql_fetch returns (Apples, Oranges, Bananas), so either way.  The total number probably isn't going to be a very high number, single digits, maybe low double digits...

How on earth would I do that?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.