urgent help ordering database rows in php

busby

ok will try be as clear as possible :)

i have a small web app where a user can create a shopping list, populate it with categories..and populate categories with items...so for example...they make a list called tescos...they create 3 categories (frozen food, fruit and veg, electronics)...they then create items under each of those categories (burgers, apples, DVD's)

they can edit, delete and add new lists, categories and items.#

however i need them ALSO to be able to order the categories...so they could arrange them in the order they will appear in the shop...so i DONT mean order by category ascending or descending...i mean move a category up or down a position in the list...maybe have an up and down arrow next to each category.

i know i need a field in my database called for example...cat_order

but how do i populate this field when the user creates a new category? i cant have it auto increment because i already have the ID field do that...so when a user creates a new category i dont know how to populate this order field.

now once i do manage to get the order field populated how would i do this ordering?

could i have code please? ive spent a LONG time on this and i cant do it...its very urgent i need it working by tomorrow morning.

So my category tables looks like:

catid --- category --- listid --- catorder

1 ---------Frozen ----- 2 --------- ???

please hurry and thanks in advance

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.