Problem with mysql db

boblan66

I creating a  members only web for my wife's 45th reunion. Everything went great untill I tackled something I never did before. PHP!

From the home page I'm having the user enter a username and password. I created the db using phpmyadmin and populated the table with two users.

I checked the include and it is attempting to open the db and proper table. however, the php loginck.php, goes to the programed error message.

Can I get a little assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

The form calls loginck,pfp and it gets there OK.

<div class="art-blockcontent">
                                        <div class="art-blockcontent-body">
                                            <!-- block-content -->
                                            <div style="border: medium ridge blue;padding:15px; font-size:.8em;">
						To assist in maintaining contact with our alumni, please register.
						<br>
						Already registered, sign in.
						<br><br>
							<form action="loginck.php" method="POST">
								<label>Username: </label><input type="varchar" style="height: 1em;" size="15" name="passWord" required>
								<br>
								<label>Password: </label><input type="password" style="height: 1em;" size="15" name="passWord" required>
								<br><br>
								<center><input type="submit" value="Sign In">
								<input type="reset" value="Clear"></center>
								</form>
								<br><br>
								<a href="register.html">Register</a>
								<br>
								<hr>
								<br>
								This site best viewed using Google Chrome, FireFox, or Opera browsers.
							</form>
					</div>
                                          <!-- /block-content -->

I attached loginck.php  and the inserted a called file 'z_db.php' for your review.  I know if I can get this figured out I can do the others I need to do.

Sorry, if ther's too many typos, I'm relegated to typing with one finger (Stroke) and in a wheel chair.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hey Brother!

Man. You really need to get a basic book or read some fundamental tutorials on php and MySQL... I am not saying this to be anal, but to try to get your some real help...

Just at a glance, without even looking at your attached files, I am wondering why your <input /> fields have the same name.

And although type="varchar" might exist in html (i've never used it and not aware of it ever existing), I think you're better of with type="text".

I think you would be better off having your hosting company install a script like Joomla, and you can manage everything from that CMS without getting involved in the programming.. - just my 2cents.

As said above. Names are wrong.

Keep in mind you're uploading your files to a PUBLIC forum.  You should ALWAYS ALWAYS, change your usernames/passwords in files you upload.

<label>Username: </label><input type="text" style="height: 1em;" size="15" name="username" required> <--! this should be username.. not password -->
<br>
<label>Password: </label><input type="password" style="height: 1em;" size="15" name="passWord" required>

To make the form function with the backend PHP, as stated above, you need to change your username field name to "userName"

I have had a quick look at your PHP code and found this line to be redundant

if(($rec['userName']==$userName)&&($rec['passWord']==$passWord)){

as the SQL is only getting rows that have the username and password that was submitted via the form.

Something like this would be more appropriate.

$sql_query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `signup` WHERE `userName`='$userName' AND `passWord` = '$passWord' LIMIT 1");
if (mysql_num_rows($sql_query) > 0) {
// RUN YOUR WELCOME SCRIPT
} else {
// RUN YOUR ERROR MESSAGE
}

Hope this helps.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.