New set of eyes on my Query - UPDATE, SET 2 Tables

OldWest

Can anyone just have a look at tell me if my query and tell me if it seems optimal and optimized for what I am trying to do.

I've got 2 tables:

locations_all

sys_states

I need to update a blank field locations_all.state_id to sys_states.id where locations_all.city_state equals sys_states.stateName

Here is my current query:

UPDATE locations_all AS a JOIN sys_states AS b ON a.city_state = b.stateName SET a.state_id = b.id

Does it seem efficient this way?

it is good... that is the way to do it.... just one observation based on your description:

I need to update a blank field .....

you want to do the update ONLY if the locations_all.state_id is blank (empty, null or 0.. depending of the data type)... or you want to update it always? 

If the first case you need a condition (WHERE clause) in that UPDATE  ... otherwise you are good to go

Hey mikosiko,

Thanks for the great feedback :) I see now how it could have been a disaster had I needed to keep existing data in the locations_all.state_id field!

All locations_all.state_id fields where blank. And from my manual review and check everything seems to have been updated accurately.

It took a lot of guts for me to run this even on test tables!

I'll call this one SOLVED!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.