PHP download prompt problem

PHP: 5.2.5| Manually installed with zip

Apache: 2.2.8

I just installed Apache and PHP on my PC running Win.Vista... I've gone through many versions of both software and had the same issue im having now, I even went and bought a book and followed their instructions and am having the same issue.

Whenever I go to run the first test script phpinfo.php, my internet explorer prompts me to download the file instead of running its browser.  I tried it on Firefox and it will just ouput the code, instead of actually running it.

I'm assuming its some kind of permission problem, its the only thing that makes sense to me.

I added the lines to the httpd.conf file:

LoadModule php5_module "c:/php/php5apache2_2.dll"

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

PHPIniDir "c:/php"

I created the php.ini file and copied the info from the recommended file

I reset apache

I deleted IE cookies

I have done everything its told me to do, I just can't get it to work

• 2 weeks later...

I hear it's a security flaw (bug) with Microsoft - alot of chatter on their forums about it but no one really giving specific details on a solution; many are going in and disabling security features - some solving the problem that way but not my recommendation as you need to know the effects of those changes before doing them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.