How to secure my php application from someone copying source code

redbrad0

I've been developing a php application that runs my entire company for the last 4 years. One of the things I never thought of until now is that the server guys or anyone else could copy the source code and db and be able to start up another company which brings up my question to you.... How would you protect your application?

My thought is to create one small php file that is encrypted with something that is required to make the entire site run (not sure at this point what it would be that they couldn't just rebuild). Then if this file sees it's on a different domain/ip it requests data from my site which logs the info for me to look at. If I find out it's something not approved, it would then not allow the program to run and will give a error.

What is your idea?

you cant see php in the source code?

password protect your files?

dont tell anyone your cpanel password or username lol?

they could only get a website that would look like yours, theres wouldnt work because they couldnt get your php codes therefore they would have to script up their own php which would take, well if it took you 4 years..

theres alot of sites that use this to scam people, its called phishing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

Sorry if I didn't hit on the point exactly, but what I'm worried about is the people that manage the servers and the programers that are working on the site. Let's just say I wrote software for a application that I am selling online. They need full access to the source code to be able to make modifications but I wouldn't want them to be able to put the code on a warez site or anything else allowing people to download it without paying. Does this help?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.