Help removing this string

chronister

Hello all... Happy Turkey Day for those who celebrate Thanksgiving, and Happy Thursday for everyone else :)

I am code scraping a page and I have managed to hack together a couple regex patterns that remove pieces I want gone in the code, but I am having trouble on this one. I have looked and just cannot wrap my brain around this regex stuff.

I have a string of text (html source code) and want to find and remove all occurrences of this string.

<sup class='footnote' value='[<a href="XXX" title="See footnote XXX">XXX</a>]'>[<a href="XXX" title="See footnote XXX">XXX</a>]</sup> 

In all the places you see XXX this is variable information.  I have tried some expressions, but they did not work. I am not sure if it is possible to simply find and replace everything between and including

<sup class='footnote' XXXXXXXX </sup>

Thanks in advance for help,

Nate

I am absolutely not sure what you want, but this removes the whole thing.

<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);

$a = "<sup class='footnote' value='[<a href=\"XXX\" title=\"See footnote XXX\">XXX</a>]'>[<a href=\"XXX\" title=\"See footnote XXX\">XXX</a>]</sup>";

echo preg_replace('@<sup (.*)>(.*)<\/sup>@', '', $a);

?>

If this is not what you want, please correct me and show me a example of how it must be!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.