A poor understanding of sessions

GreenFanta

Basically, I've developed a basic registration and login code whereby it inserts and retrieves data from MySQL, however my login code is giving me problems in a sense that I don't understand the concept of the "session" feature, my understanding of it, is that it places a cookie on your computer and verifies it on each request called by the page with the start_session() function on it, if so, is this correct?

My Header for all pages:

<?php session_start(); ?>

When the client logs in successfully:

$_SESSION["myusername"] = $myusername;
$_SESSION["mypassword"] = $mypassword;
// Both Local variables ($myusername and $mypassword) are from the matching database and client entered values.

When the client navigates to a completely different page:

if (isset($_SESSION['myusername'])) {
// Do x
} else {
// Do y
}
// It is never doing X for me.

Thanks!

Regards

Matthew

Well, it just displays HTML through if functions in PHP, all I'm really trying to do is when the user uses my login interface then it must register the session, I have used

session_start()

on every single page and (since its in the header which is included in every page) and the header also goes to an

if(isset($_SESSION['myusername']))

, so it's mainly the header that's checking whether the user is logged in or not and then it adjusts the menu buttons appropriately, and that's all I'm trying to do, and I've provided the only code that would logically make a difference to the session as nothing happens in between with any variables etc..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.