somethings going horribly wrong!

MSUK1

okay, so my site is hosted on one server. we are moving the server content onto another server but keeping the database on the old server [to try releive server load of origonal server]

OLD Server IP: 174.37.165.192

NEW Server IP: 94.236.52.170

---------------------------

the new server hosts a site already, we are adding this site onto it, however when i try to connect to the old server for the database, here is the error i get:

Access denied for user 'staceyxs_System'@'mattress-sales.co.uk' (using password: YES)

it is putting mattress-sales.co.uk as the server im trying to access however in the code i am using the IP of my old server.

so i thought i'd change the host to "efsas" [random lettering] and i get the error "efsas is not a valid host" which is fine! so it means it is checking what i enter in the $host variable..

here is my code:

define("DB_SERVER", "174.37.165.192");
define("DB_USER", "db_user");
define("DB_PASS", "pass");
define("DB_NAME", "db_table");

have removed some values for protection..

anyway, if you visit 94.236.52.170 you will see the error..

and if you visit : 174.37.165.192 you will see what it should look like.

I don't see anywhere in this thread where you have configured the old database server to accept a remote connection from the IP address of the new web server? That would be your first step.

And you do realize that connecting to the old database server remotely over the Internet will be several times slower than when the database server and web server were on the same hardware, in the same rack, or even in the same data center.

We know it may be slower but would like to traffic the requests we get until my new dedi server is up

Our site receives 20k hits daily and we recently lost a good server so this is just for this weekend when our hits expect to double as it comes to a close for the reality tv show my sisters on

so this is just to traffic the server load

On the old server we used cpanel to allow remotesql for the new servers IP

In doing a little basic research on this (search for mysql dns lookup) - http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/dns.html you either need to disable DNS host name lookups on the old mysql server or you need to enter the mattress-sales.co.uk domain name instead of the IP address of new server (client) that you want the old mysql server to accept a connection from.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.