Self Updating MySQL database from mirrored database

kaisaj

Hello everyone.  The last time I posted on this site I received kindness and  fantastically amazing help.  My advanced apologies for any stupidity involved here.  If this is one of those questions that has been answered countless time, a simple reference to the URL of the post will suffice.  I'm just not having any luck with my searches.

Here is my situation:

I presently have a PHP page set up to do a search from a MySQL database.  It's humming along nicely thanks to the help I got here.  The MySQL database is updated every few days by ME, using the import feature and a CSV file.  The CSV file is created by exporting the data from a program called Time Matters.  Right now I just use the program's features to export this to a CSV and yadda, yadda, yadda...

But, I know this is a lame way to go.  I need to create a way to make this thing self update.  Time Matters is on a SQL platform.  It seems like I should be able to get into that data (I have done this before for trial prep with our other SQL programs and Access) and mirror it on a server somewhere, and then ???

Please help!  This is one of those problems where I don't really even fully understand my problem enough to grasp the problems of the steps.  I'm having major surgery in a few weeks and if there is anyway this thing could self-automate, it would be a huge relief!  Thank you!

and query the Time Matters Db (MS SQL 2005 or 2008) directly is not an option?... is any reason why you need to export the data to another DB?

If not possible, and you know the Data Model of Time Matters and have the username/password to access the data I don't see too much difficulties implementing something like you want.

general steps:

- Make an script that query the TM DB and extract the data.

- Move that data (insert/update/delete) to your other DB

- Automatize that process using Scheduler if Windows or Cron if Unix

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.