green, wet behind the ears new to web programming needs help

johnleaf

Ok so I have a mysql database i am trying to query, and i am doing a search by year and country, and i also have a parameter for the flow of a particular good- either import or export or re-export or re-import.

I would like it to sum based on the country and flow export being summed to re-export etc

this is probably best solved by proper use of a mysql query- so i suppose that is not php- anyways

thank you, this is my first foray into mysql, php etc and i just want to make something mildly useful

many thanks

john

ok i got it apparently- i still cant figureout how to subtract things from each other in mysql, but... one step at a time

select country, SUM(usd) from t01 where comcode=10600 and year=2008 and (flow='Export' OR flow='Re-Export') group by country;

so what is happening here is it is printing out the sum in each country of the the rows which are either export or re-export to give the sum total- just what the doctor ordered.

just for others reference: here was my table

+---------+------+---------+------------------------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-----------------+----------+

| country | year | comcode | name                              | flow      | usd    | weight | unit            | quantity |

+---------+------+---------+------------------------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-----------------+----------+

| Albania | 2008 |  10600 | Animals, live, except farm animals | Import    | 859291 | 112974 | Number of items |  109907 |

| Albania | 2008 |  10600 | Animals, live, except farm animals | Export    | 767554 |  82215 | Number of items |    78592 |

| Albania | 2008 |  10600 | Animals, live, except farm animals | Re-Export | 603716 |  66820 | Number of items |    63999 |

amd here was the output I wanted:

| United Arab Emirates            |  24431653 |

| United Kingdom                  |  29994341 |

| Uruguay                          |    116322 |

| USA                              | 162622419 |

| Venezuela                        |    22212 |

| Viet Nam                        |  4927146 |

| Yemen                            |  1698956 |

| Zambia                          |    108680 |

| Zimbabwe                        |    567810 |

+----------------------------------+-----------+

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.