Searching in a MySQL database

techguy388

I have setup a page in php that allows users to register for access to a website.  One of the fields on my form allows the user to enter an email address, and I want to compare what they enter with data in a table in a MySQL database.  I want to restrict registration based upon the domain of the email address that the user enters.  Here's the code I'm using now:

$domainsearch = mysql_query("SELECT domains FROM allowedDomains WHERE domains LIKE '$email'");
$returnedrows = mysql_num_rows($domainsearch);
if ($returnedrows<=0 ){
$err=$err."You must enter an acceptable email address";

Example of 'domains' data in database:

'yahoo.com'

'gmail.com'

This code only works if I enter "yahoo.com" or "gmail.com" in the form.  It doesn't recognize "username@yahoo.com" as being LIKE "yahoo.com."

How can I get my code working in such a way that it recognizes "username@yahoo.com" as being related to the "yahoo.com" row in my database?

Thanks in advance!

list(,$domain) = explode('@', $email);
$domain = mysql_real_escape_string($domain);
$domainsearch = mysql_query("SELECT domains FROM allowedDomains WHERE domains LIKE '$domain'");
$returnedrows = mysql_num_rows($domainsearch);
if ($returnedrows<=0 ){
$err=$err."You must enter an acceptable email address";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.