PHP notice

Ads

Hey I updated my WAMP server the other day and I am getting al of these Errors now.

Notice: Undefined variable: ac in C:\wamp\www\xxxxx\newupdates.php on line 15

And there is about 25 of them on one page, and they are all over the place. Undoubtly it is my poor coding, but how come it never showed up before, and the site itself still works.

Any help would be great, I basically wont to get rid of these :)

The best guess would be that the update enabled php warnings which you didn't have on before... You can always turn the warnings off if you find them irritating (not suggested tho on dev machines).

Without any proper knowledge about your code my best guess would be to wrap those variables inside if(isset) blocks.

e.g.

if(isset($yourvar)) {
  //dosomething with your var
}

Different servers are set up to show different levels of errors. PHP Notices are often not shown.

That particular notice occurs if you try and use a variable before it has been set.

for($i = 0; $i < 5; $i++){
    $var = $var + 1;
}

will cause PHP to issue a notice because the first time around the loop, you're trying to add 1 to $var before $var exists. To avoid this notice, you could do something like;

Different servers are set up to show different levels of errors. PHP Notices are often not shown.

That particular notice occurs if you try and use a variable before it has been set.

$var = 0;
    $var = $var + 1;
}

Or, to use noXstyle's example code;

if(isset($var)){
        $var = $var + 1;
    }else{
        $var = 1;
    }
}

It's telling you that your variables are not defined when it first runs.  What you want to do with that is up to you.

I just want to get rid of it :P

The most easy and painless way possible

The easiest way is to just disable the display of PHP Notices by changing the error_reporting level. But just hiding the messages doesn't fix your code :P

You could just initialise the problematic variables at the start of the code segment. Eg;

$a = $b = $c = $d = $e = 0;

What you initialise them to will depend on your code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.