Encoding an audio file with PHP (converting from CAF)... using LAME?

inzania

Hey all,

So I have .caf files that are recorded from my iOS applications and uploaded to my server.  Ultimately I want to play these recordings within my website using jPlayer (a jQuery plugin: http://www.jplayer.org), which means they need to be converted from the .caf format.  The encoding cannot be done on the mobile device, or so I am told, being that it is too processor intensive.  This leaves the webserver...

So far I've had very little luck finding any way to convert the file using PHP.  I assumed that it would be easy enough to use something like LAME to encode the caf into a mp3.  I've seen a few cryptic references to doing exactly this in my google searches, but no definitive information.

Can anybody shed some light on the situation?

Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.