Is Selling Software Worthwhile?

AngstyG

I'm looking into possibly selling some of my PHP scripts. Was just wondering what the profitability for this market is currently like. Anyone out there currently selling their scripts/software? Is it worthwhile? I'm not looking to ~get rich~ or anything, but I'm not sure if I'd go through the trouble for something insignificant, if that makes any sense.

Any advice is appreciated!

It very much depends on what it will cost you to sell and maintain the software, and the market.  There are plenty of people selling scripts, although you might not think of them as such, when you consider people who sell templates for cms systems.    Like anything you have to do some market analysis, take a look at costs to advertise with adwords etc..  For something like a "Wedding site" I'm with ignace that you're going to do much better with a site that allows people to make their site, that you host, and provides the SaaS. 

For something like a payment gateway, that might be something that would sell ok, although I would expect the competition to be stiff.  Having it as a plugin to existing cms systems or commerce platforms would help.

Oh, thanks, Giz! That's actually very helpful. Maybe I can start simple with the SaaS wedding Site, and see where I can go from there. I already sell a lot of wordpress templates, but I suppose it'd be smart to expand to toher CMS's.

Thanks for the advice!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.