hometown spam check

fxuser

Hello, first of all i dont know if i am in the right section so feel free to move the topic...

so i want to add a hometown feature in my website.. the thing is how can i prevent users from using spam words and such stuff?

do i have to search the inputted text in my spam list and and if it finds a word in there then tell them that they have to rewrite their hometown? or ?

thanks..

Could you elaborate on 'spam words', its a bit vague. 

Akismet is a good service for stopping spam in general though its focused on comment and trackback spam for blogs, but can be adapted.  If you're worried about bots spamming your site having an image captcha, that a user inputs on submit is definitely a good solution, reCaptcha is pretty much the industry standard on this technology nowadays but it can be implemented readily with some inventive GD image and font manipulation.  Neither of the mentioned solutions is perfect, so make sure to build in some features for yourself to easily review the user content.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.