mysql_fetch_row() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given

Triple_Nothing

Howdy y'all. I'm rather good at troubleshooting my errors, especially when I know what the error means. That way I at least have an idea of what I am looking for. This one has me at a loss...

Error:

Warning: mysql_fetch_row() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ...

And the area it references is:

$carrier = mysql_fetch_row(mysql_query("SELECT `CarrierName` WHERE `CarrierID` = " . $myArray[$i][6]));

The $myArray[$i][6] holds a single digit number for a value.

The error means that the query failed due to an error. It does not mean that the query matched zero rows. One of the possible errors would be a sql syntax error if $myArray[$i][6] is empty or non-existent.

You should form your query string in a variable, such as $query, and then echo the query so that you can see what it actually contains.

You should not nest mysql_fetch_row(mysql_query()) functions as that prevents you from testing if the query executed without errors before you attempt to fetch data from a non-existent result resource (a query that matches zero rows returns a result resource that contains zero rows.) You would then also be able to use mysql_num_rows() to determine how many rows the query returns when it actually executes without errors.

Edit: Using some error checking and error reporting logic on the query, would have pointed out where in the query to look.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.