Is it possible..

Unknown98

Is is possible, to have a field "copy" data from another field in the same table? Say, I have "user_name" and "username" fields. If data is inserted into "user_name", can I set "username" to automatically copy the data from the "user_name" field? It would have the same effect as inserting data into both fields, but with only having to insert data into one of them.

Because I am working with a content management system -- PHP Fusion -- and for some reason I can't add my custom field to the default SQL insert query when somebody registers. Apparently the field has to start with user_, and I didn't do that a year ago when I set up the database. When someone registers, they can choose their city via a drop-down box. For some reason, the way the CMS is built, I can't add their city to the database unless the DB field starts with user_. It would be a LOT of work to weed through all the pages and lines of code and change everywhere where it calls for the city, from just '$data['city']' to $data['user_city'].  Thus why I was wondering if I could create a new field, user_city, and insert their city into that when they register. Then, have the "city" field copy the user_city info, so I wouldn't have to look through thousands of lines of code and change a ton of variables.

If you know another way of doing this that's better, I'm all ears  :P I know it's not correct or proper, but at the time I wasn't aware the field had to start with the user_ prefix.

maybe I'm going to ask the obvious but....

- did you ask about your problem in the PHP-Fusion Forum?

- did you read the PHP-Fusion Manual starting in pages 40 and up? prefix seems to be optional or anything.

replace across multiples files should no be a problem (almost a piece of cake if well controlled) using a good editor... and if everything fail.... then....

TRIGGER

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/triggers.html

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.