New DB

fesan

Hi...

I want to create a fully functional forum, like PHPBB, maby not as advanced but that does the same job. I do this to teach myself a huge amount of PHP and MySQL. I´ve done PHP and MySQL programming for 6-7 years but just on a hobby basis, so I´m familiar with writing the code.

I sat down to brainstorm a bit about the project when i got to the structure of the database i hesitated on how to do a good structure for a forum database.

I thought first of all to have all the forum posts in one table with relation to the forum subject and topic table. But i thought that having all the posts in one table might be a slow system? Should the posts be separated or is this ok? I understand that this depends on the size of the forum and the amount of posts in the database.

How do you do a good database structure in a table with a huge amount of rows that should go in the same table?

First table layout:

Forum name - cars or flowers?

Topic name - carburetors or Daisies (a relation to forum topic so it organizes under the correct forum name)

Forum post - how do i grow a daisy? (a relation to both topic name and forum name for organizing)

Browse through my source here: https://github.com/ttocskcaj/The-Forum-Framework/

Pretty much, I have 3 tables to handle the posts.

* forum  - different categories for threads to go in. Eg "PHP Coding Help"

* thread - eg "New DB"

* post - eg "Re: New DB"

Each post belongs to a thread, and are linked with an ID (integer).

Each thread belongs to a forum ane are linked with an ID (iteger).

Each post is also linked to a user with an ID.

I have a different class to handle each table, kind of like a model (in MVC) I guess.

Here's the sql for my database.

https://github.com/ttocskcaj/The-Forum-Framework/blob/master/sql/tffw_sql.sql

Keep in mind that I'm still working on mine to.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.