How to get PHP to auto-create Months/Years

Call-911

Hello All,

I have a News database in which articles are entered in. Right now all the stories are being display in one big page with every story on it. What I would like to do is to create an "archive" in which it automatically organizes the stories by their date.

For example.

February

January

December

November

October

September

etc...

etc...

I have a datetime field for the database, and I know how to do this all manually, but I can't figure out how to make it automatically add a month each month. It would be too much maintanence to have to update this every month.

I also don't know what this would be called, so I don't even know what to search for. I've tried blog and news, but doesn't seem to be what I want.

Any help would be appreciated!

zenlord,

I can do that manually and manually link up the months to something like stories.php?month=january

But how can I have PHP automatically create a new month every month.

ie, right now it would say

February

Janaury

December

November

etc.

etc.

But then on March 1 this year automatically add in march so it goes to

March

February

January

etc...

using a for-loop or foreach-loop?

Make an array with the all the names of the months in it and embed that array inside a for-loop for an array that starts at this year and then counts down 5 times, f.e.

or using date-and-time-functions: output this month and then subtract a month for 60 times (5 years * 12 months).

Many ways to do this. pick one :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.