geroid

Hi

I have a table (names_eng) created with the following fields:

order

family

species_name

common_name

species_author

I also have a list of 10,000 records with five fields each that I have converted to a csv file in excel. The list looks something like this in excel (the first 8 records - 40 lines):

STRUTHIONIFORMES

Struthionidae

Struthio camelus

Common Ostrich

Linnaeus, 1758

STRUTHIONIFORMES

Struthionidae

Struthio molybdophanes

Somali Ostrich

Reichenow, 1883

STRUTHIONIFORMES

Rheidae

Rhea americana

Greater Rhea

(Linnaeus, 1758)

STRUTHIONIFORMES

Rheidae

Rhea pennata

Lesser Rhea

Orbigny, 1834

STRUTHIONIFORMES

Casuariidae

Casuarius casuarius

Southern Cassowary

(Linnaeus, 1758)

STRUTHIONIFORMES

Casuariidae

Casuarius bennetti

Dwarf Cassowary

Gould, 1858

STRUTHIONIFORMES

Casuariidae

Casuarius unappendiculatus

Northern Cassowary

Blyth, 1860

STRUTHIONIFORMES

Casuariidae

Dromaius novaehollandiae

Emu

(Latham, 1790)

Can anyone tell me the sql syntax to import this data from the csv file into the names_eng table so that the first 5 entries from the csv file become the first record in the names_eng table and the next 5 entries from the csv file become the 2nd record in the names_eng table etc. as shown below:

order                              family                    species_name                  common_name            species_author

STRUTHIONIFORMES      Struthionidae        Struthio camelus                  Common Ostrich            Linnaeus, 1758

STRUTHIONIFORMES      Struthionidae        Struthio molybdophanes      Somali Ostrich              Reichenow, 1883

STRUTHIONIFORMES      Rheidae                Rhea americana                    Greater Rhea                (Linnaeus, 1758)

STRUTHIONIFORMES      Rheidae                Rhea pennata                        Lesser Rhea                Orbigny, 1834

STRUTHIONIFORMES      Casuariidae          Casuarius casuarius              Southern Cassowary  (Linnaeus, 1758)

STRUTHIONIFORMES      Casuariidae          Casuarius bennetti                Dwarf Cassowary        Gould, 1858

STRUTHIONIFORMES      Casuariidae          Casuarius unappendiculatus  Northern Cassowary    Blyth, 1860

STRUTHIONIFORMES      Casuariidae          Dromaius novaehollandiae    Emu                            (Latham, 1790)

Any help would be great

Thanks

Thank you mikosiko

I solved the problem by copying the word table into excel and simply using the import option in phpMYAdmin (from spreadsheet) and it brought in all the records as I wanted it. In the end it was really simple

Thanks again

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.