PHP 5.3 dependent on 5.0?

I would dearly like to upgrade my server to PHP5.3.3 (from 5.1) and MySQL 5.5 (from 5.0).  Fate isn't being kind to me, since neither was willing to upgrade directly.  So whatever, I uninstalled both and used yum for the "php53" package and downloaded the rpms for mysql 5.5.

Here's the catch.  Here's what I get when I install php53-mysql:

=========================================================================================================
Package                  Arch              Version                        Repository               Size
=========================================================================================================
Installing:
php53-mysql              i386              5.3.3-1.el5                    c5-testing               86 k
Installing for dependencies:
mysql                    i386              5.0.77-4.el5_5.4               updates                 4.8 M
php53-pdo                i386              5.3.3-1.el5                    c5-testing               65 k

Transaction Summary

Why is 5.3.3 dependent on 5.0.77?  Heck if I know, but that file prevents me from installing MySQL.  If I go the other way then php53-mysql won't install.  Doesn't it seem wrong to be dependent on a prior version like that?  And is there some trick I can use to tell the installer not to do that?  I'm not overly experienced at linux installs so it's entirely possible I just don't know the technique.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.