Imdb rating display

soltek

Hello,

do you have any idea on how are the rating stars displayed on imdb.com?

I mean, I have a website with a rating system from 1 to 10, only with entire numbers. When I print the rating on a page at the moment it's displaying one star or two stars or three stars (png images)and so on.

The thing is I want to start using decimals on the rating system, so I could have 5.3, for example. My problem is about how to display 5 stars and 0.3 of another?

Any idea?

Im sorry if this isnt the right section, but I think it is the most apropriate.

Thank you in advance.

Decimals are a bit to small, esp if you're trying to have star images attached to the rating.

A half should be plenty.

The book JQuery: Novice to Ninja has a beautifully written section on this exact type of project, including "illuminating" a half star in the rating system.

I have nothing to do with the book, but I've gone through quite a few AJAX/javascript/Jquery books trying to learn AJAX for my new project, and that book was heads and shoulders above all the other ones, because the entire book is based around building and complete website project, not just specific "cool" things to place in a website without any context for them to exist in the larger picture. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.