Problem Display Error

Mod-Jay

I am making a script that has a Notification/Inbox system in it. Right know it's close to being done, but I have one problem..

My problem is that if a user has >= 1 message in their inbox it shows what it should, but if the user has nothing in the inbox it shows nothing instead of the simple error "You have no message in your inbox".

Code 1:

$inbox_a = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM notifications WHERE recieverid='". $_SESSION['id'] ."'") or die(mysql_error());

Code 2:

<?php if(!mysql_num_rows($inbox_a) <= 0) { ?>
				<tr class="table">
					<td class="name"><a href="usercp.php?usercp=inbox&id=<?php echo $msgid; ?>"><h3><?php echo ucFirst($msgname); ?></h3></td>
					<td class="revision"><h3><a href="#"><?php echo $msgsendername ?></a></h3></td>			
					<td class="votes"><h3><?php echo date('D, M d, Y h:i A', strtotime($msgdate)) ?></h3></td>						
				</tr>
		<?php } else { ?>
				<tr class="table">
					<td class="name">You have no messages in your inbox.</td>
					<td class="revision"></td>			
					<td class="votes"></td>						
				</tr>
		<?php } ?>

If the code you did post is inside of a loop, it won't work, no matter what logic you use, because the code inside the loop is not executed when there are zero rows in the result set.

You must test before the start of the loop if there are rows or not and print your "You have no messages ..." if there are no rows and execute the loop if there are rows.

Then use a loop

<?php if(mysql_num_rows($inbox_a) ) { ?>
<?php while($row = mysql_fetch_array($inbox_a)){ ?>
<tr class="table">
<td class="name"><a href="usercp.php?usercp=inbox&id=<?php echo $row['msgid']; ?>"><h3><?php echo ucFirst($row['msgname']); ?></h3></td>
<td class="revision"><h3><a href="#"><?php echo $row['msgsendername']; ?></a></h3></td>
<td class="votes"><h3><?php echo date('D, M d, Y h:i A', strtotime($row['msgdate'])) ?></h3></td>
</tr>
<?php }} else { ?>
<tr class="table">
<td class="name">You have no messages in your inbox.</td>
<td class="revision"></td>
<td class="votes"></td>
</tr>
<?php } ?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.