Text: How to use <p> and <br /> tags.

Snot

I'm using HTML 4.1 Strict I think.

I'm getting some warnings while validating my html about my use of the <br /> tag. I've read some pages and it looks like I'm just typeing it in as if I were using xhtml? I'm not sure if I just need to remove all my end tags and / marks or if i'm using the tags wrong.

Example of what i'm doing now.

<p> text text text...
lots and lots of text...
</p>

<br />

<p> text text text...
lots and lots of text...
</p>

From what I read html 4.0 doesn't use end tags. So should i change all of my code to

<p> text text text...
lots and lots of text...

<br>

<p> text text text...
lots and lots of text...

I'm not sure if this is whats causing my warning or if i'm just using the tags wrong.

Thanks for the help.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.wararmada.com%2FTDB&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0#result

NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES

<br />

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways, depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/' terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML 4.01 Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.